Truck Accidents: What You Need to Know
What you should know if you are involved in an accident with a commercial truck in California
If you live in the state of California and you have been involved in an accident with a commercial truck. Right now is the time to contact an attorney, because the state laws for commercial truck accidents, as well as the compensation for injuries that occur in an accident, are totally different from those of accidents involving passenger vehicles.
The differences being insurance policies, is the truck owned by an individual or a trucking company, what state does the trucking company reside in, and so on. It is very important that you contact a truck accident attorney right away, so that you can get the compensation that you deserve.
Below is a list of things that should be taken care of immediately after being involved in an accident with a commercial truck.
1. Contacting the police and getting medical attention are the two most important things to do.
Whether you consider the wreck to be bad or not you will need a police report later. Go to the hospital and get checked out, even if you don’t think that you are hurt you could be. Write down any pains that come later and get them checked out within days of the accident. Without contact information for witnesses and other people involved it is hard to prove negligence. It is majorly important top get contact and insurance information from the following people at the scene of the accident:
- The truck driver
- Any passengers that were in the truck
- Any witnesses that may have saw what happened
All of this information will be extremely important to give to your truck wreck accident lawyer so that they and get you the best possible settlement or verdict for your lawsuit.
2. Just as with any other accident in the state of California you must contact your insurance company.
In an accident involving a commercial truck in California you have a one year time limit to contact your insurance company and to file forms concerning compensation and payment. In California the application for benefits is required in order for you to receive the following benefits:
- Medical expenses
- Wage loss
- Help with house work and children
- Mileage to and from doctor’s offices or medical services
It is very important that you fill out these applications as correctly and completely as possible, making sure to add each of your injuries caused by the accident. Failing to meet the one year dead line for filing the applications may result in loss of coverage.
You have three years to file a claim against a negligent trucking company’s insurance.
3. Hire a California commercial truck accident attorney immediately because in an accident with a commercial truck time is of the essence.
Commercial trucking companies are required by law to keep accurate record of regular safety inspections as well as driving hours for each truck driver. Trucking companies are only required to keep these records for a certain amount of time, after that time all records can and will be destroyed; important evidence of any negligence or poor truck maintenance as well.
4. Most people have trouble fully understanding exactly how their auto insurance and their health insurance can work together in some situations. What are uncoordinated benefits?
It is very important that you understand your insurance policy and any other insurance that you might carry and how the two will work together in an accident with a commercial truck. In certain situations as with commercial truck accidents a person may be entitled to a ‘double dip recovery’, meaning that your health insurance pays first and then your auto insurance picks up the remainder of the balance.
5. You might be surprised to see an insurance adjuster for the trucking company at the scene of the accident, but it is not uncommon. They are not there because the trucking company cares; they are there to lesson the trucking company’s liability. You should not give a statement to an insurance adjuster for the trucking company. Don’t let the adjuster look at the damage to your automobile. Don’t sign anything; you could be signing away your rights.
If you have been in an accident with a commercial truck it is always to your advantage to contact a commercial truck accident attorney right away. There is a big difference in commercial truck liability and automobile liability.