Los Angeles Brain Injury Lawyer
What Is Brain Injury?
Traumatic brain injuries often result in widespread damage to the victim’s life. In many cases traumatic brain injuries cause long-term or permanent physical, emotional and mental difficulties that are misunderstood by employers, family members and friends, and placing additional distress on the unfortunate victim. Brain injuries may result in long-term medical, financial and emotional damages for those injured and their families, who may become their sole caregivers. A Los Angeles brain injury lawyer can help you if you find yourself in this situation.
In the United States the annual costs of care for victims of traumatic brain injuries is estimated at nearly $50 billion. Costs to the victims account for $30 billion spent annually and within an injured person’s lifetime can reach $4 million.
Rehabilitation, medical costs, adaptive measures and lifestyle modifications can accumulate to almost $200,000 every 4 years for each survivor while more acute rehabilitation costs can average $1000 a day.
Brain injury victims suffer from lost wages as well as enormous expenses. Many survivors of a severe traumatic brain injury are young adults who can never return to work after their accident. Although most brain injuries are mild, victims of serious brain injuries experience psychological effects like long-term depression, prolonged anxiety, loss of social interaction and support, slow or no improvement of functionality and the ongoing need for assistance in their daily lives.
These injuries produce huge amounts of damages – damage that no one should ever have to deal with. If you have been affected by injury to the brain, seek out an experienced Los Angeles brain injury lawyer who can help you overcome the challenges of this injury.
Types of Brain Injuries
Brain injuries may be mild, moderate or severe.
- Mild brain injuries typically result in a brief loss of consciousness and a slight change in mental state at the time of the injury.
- Moderate injuries result from impact or violent shaking. Victims may lose consciousness for minutes or hours and may remain in a confused state for days.
- Severe brain injuries usually result from a penetrating blow to the head and result in permanent brain damage or death.
There are two types: traumatic and acquired brain injuries
- Traumatic injuries occur as the result of an external force. Ex: concussions, contusions, coup-contrecoup diffuse anoxia and penetration.
- Acquired injuries are the result of an internal source, like a stroke, or an external one. Ex: anoxic or hypoxic.
How Brain Injuries Occur
There are many reasons and statistics as to how brain injuries occur:
- Drug or alcohol abuse is involved in nearly 50% of all fatal brain injuries.
- 28% of all injuries occur as a result of motor vehicle accidents.
- 50% of all brain injuries from motor vehicle accidents are severe enough to require hospitalization.
- Sports injuries and other physical activity injuries represent another 20% of all traumatic brain injuries.
- Injuries from personal assaults and violence make up another 10% of brain trauma.
- 45% of brain injuries are caused by a wide variety of other accidents.
- 34% of all injury deaths in United States are caused by traumatic brain injuries.
- People living in rural areas are twice as likely to receive a traumatic brain injury as those living in urban neighborhoods.
How Can a Los Angeles Brain Injury Lawyer Help You?
Brain injuries create tangible and tremendous medical bills, as their treatment and rehabilitation are exorbitantly expensive. But what about the other costs, less easy to define and estimate, that come along after any serious brain injury?
Estimating these intangible expenses is a crucial reason to hire a Los Angeles brain injury lawyer and one of the most important parts of their job.
Intangible Damages a Lawyer Considers
1. The first intangible damage your Los Angeles brain injury lawyer considers is the loss of earning capacity. Vocational experts testify on the amount of the plaintiffs anticipated lifetime earnings that will be lost because of the brain injury. This total can easily exceed $500,000.
2. Loss of life enjoyment and the costs of pain and suffering usually are considered under punitive damages awarded. Experts on pain and suffering are frequently not allowed to testify in court, but “hedonic damage experts” are permitted to testify on the loss of life enjoyment and through socio-economic studies make an estimated percentage of life-quality reduction. In some cases, loss of life enjoyment damages can equal loss of earnings.
3. The costs of ongoing life-care are very important to include because brain injury victims for daily require help with daily activities, specialized medications and ongoing physical and rehabilitative therapy. Those called in to testify about these costs place a dollar amount not only on paid care givers but on family members who assume the responsibility for daily care.
Why the Law Offices of David H. Greenberg?
The Law Offices of David H. Greenberg will provide exceptional Los Angeles brain injury attorneys if you have been injured.
We will work hard to make sure that he or she accurately assesses your individual case value so that when the case concludes, your compensation will be fair and commensurate with past, current and future expenses associated with your injury.
Although the precise value of each brain injury case depends on many factors, damages awarded typically exceed more than $100,000 and it is not uncommon for victims to be awarded multiple millions for their claim.
Brain injury victims suffer tremendous medical expenses, rehabilitative costs and the costs of lost income, past and future. During your brain injury case, we interview and pay independent medical and damage experts for their services, and court expenses including the costs of interviewing all witnesses must be taken into consideration.
As your Los Angeles brain injury lawyer, we work on a contingency fee basis, and spend up to $100,000 on their client’s case before trial ever comes to pass. We only charge a percentage of the damages awarded as their fee, but we are sure to take care that their client receives enough money after their percentage has been deducted to pay back all the money spent on the injury as well as to cover future costs and the intangible expense of their pain and suffering.
If you or someone you love has recently suffered a brain injury in California then begin your search for a Los Angeles brain injury lawyer and call the Law Offices of David H. Greenberg.
Our access to expert witnesses combined with our knowledge and experience with accurate damage assessment are invaluable assets to the successful outcome of your case.
Brain Injury Statistics
- Approximately 2 million head injuries occur annually in the United States; 1.5 million of those brain injuries are non-fatal and do not require hospitalization or long-term institutionalization.
- 300,000 of all the brain injury victims require hospitalization; 100,000 of those result in permanent disability.
- Over 55,000 individuals die as a direct result of traumatic brain injuries each year.
- Just over 60 per 100,000 adults function in their community with significant cognitive and physical impairments from brain injuries.
- Males are twice as likely as females to suffer a traumatic brain injury; they are also more likely to die as result of these injuries.
- Individuals between the ages of 15 to 24 and over the age of 60 have the highest statistical risk of brain injury.